Home» News&Events» News» [Diaries from PKU medical teams in Hubei] PKUPH Huang Nannan on the front line

[Diaries from PKU medical teams in Hubei] PKUPH Huang Nannan on the front line


Peking University, Feb. 24, 2020: The following is a diary written by Huang Nannan, a nurse in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology at Peking University People’s Hospital (PKUPH) and a member of medical teams to Wuhan. 

Huang Nannan

Wednesday, February 12, 2020    Sunny   

It was my fifth day in Wuhan. Fortunately, the hospital was equipped with an electric warmer so that those who came from northern China like us could endure the gloomy coldness in the south. I felt exhausted after working nonstop for six hours. My responsibility was to take care of 50 critically ill patients on 50 beds respectively. I wore an airtight N95 mask and a protective suit. The clothes have been sweat-soaked. With five layers of latex gloves, my hands were stiff. It was inconvenient to fetch food and water, or change bedsheets and quilt covers for patients. But what troubled us most was our routine work: infusion and blood drawing. Although my waist couldn’t be straightened up, my fingers were stiff, and my vision was blurred, it was still my priority to reduce the sufferings of patients to the greatest extent and ensure a successful injection. Although I was tired, I was glad to offer help.

It was heartbreaking to learn from TV news about the escalating outbreak of COVID-19 during the Lunar New Year holiday. Medical staff worked on the front line around the clock, with no replacements available. I felt sad for them, but I knew no matter who was in that position, he/she would do the same thing. In a peaceful era, hospitals and wards were our battlefields. In the face of a war without gunpowder, no "soldiers" would choose to retreat. 

On February 6, 2020, I received the notice of signing up to join the medical team to Wuhan. It was impossible to say that I don’t miss my family: my elderly parents, a three-year-old son, and my husband who has taken care of the family all year round. I believed my family would support me. My younger brother and sister would take care of my parents; my husband would take care of my son; my son would be proud of having such a mother. At this critical moment, the country needed me, and Wuhan needed me, and my fellow medical workers needed me even more! So, I signed up to join the medical team without hesitation and embarked on the journey to Wuhan. At 6:30 a.m. on February 7, 2020, members of the third batch of medical teams of our hospital gathered and were ready to set off. The hospital had prepared enough supplies and daily necessities for us and reminded us problems that we might encounter in Wuhan. Although it was still early in the morning, everyone came from home to see me off. On a winter day after snow, it was heartwarming that our efforts were recognized by people around us.

With entrustments from leaders of our hospital and blessings from everybody, members of the third batch of medical teams would certainly live up to our missions!

Translated by: Wei Qijia
Edited by: Wei Yunqi 
Source: Peking University People’s Hospital